Act-fx : the Actuarial Toolkit for ExcelFrequently Asked Questions
How can I transfer my existing licence to a new computer?
- Make a note of the Product Key (serial number) of your existing installation on your old computer This is given by the program 'Licence details' which you can find by going to the Windows Start menu, All Programs | Actuarial Solutions | Actuarial Toolkit.
- On your new computer, download the set-up program from the download page on this website. Download the version for 'new installation'.
- Run the set-up program on your new computer.
- At the end of the installation, click 'Yes' when asked if you wish to register.
- Choose the option 'Activate paid subscription licence'. A box will appear for you to enter the Product Key which you noted above.
- Click 'OK' and you should get a 'Registration completed' message.
- If you have made your own changes to the gilt yields table file of your old installation, copy this to the equivalent folder on your new computer.
- This should not normally be necessary unless Act-fx has been manually un-installed or the installation has become corrupted.
- To re-install, follow the same procedure as for transfer to a new computer described above.
- If your Product Key (serial number) is not accessible from the 'Licence details' program, you can find it on your last subscription invoice or by contacting Actuarial Solutions Ltd.
Why is Act-fx not loading when I start Excel?
- The most likely reason is that it is 'inactive' in the Excel Add-in Manager.
- Go to the Add-in Manager, tick the box for 'Actuarial Toolkit' and click 'OK'.
Act-fx should load immediately.
- Go to the Excel Add-in Manager and un-tick the box for 'Actuarial Toolkit'.
- This depends on your version of Excel.
Guidance is given in the 'Readme' file via the short-cut on your
desktop or the Windows Start menu under 'Actuarial Toolkit'.
Does my computer have to be connected to the internet to use Act-fx?
- No. Your computer does not have to be connected to the internet to use Act-fx. However, for a standard installation, Act-fx will need access to the internet at approximately weekly intervals in order to check its licence status.
- It is recommended that the computer on which you run Act-fx normally be connected to the internet However, if Act-fx is loaded on a laptop, the laptop can be be disconnected, for example to take to a meeting, as long as a recent licence status check has run (see below).
- If you regularly need to use Act-fx on a computer without access to the internet for extended periods, then please contact Actuarial Solutions to arrange a manual installation. This enables Act-fx to work without any internet access but at the expense of some lack of flexibility when renewing a licence or moving it to another computer.
- Your copy of Act-fx will continue to run, even if disconnected from the internet, for a week after it has carried out its last on-line licence check.
- Before disconnecting your laptop to take to a meeting, it is recommended that you force an up-to-date on-line licence check by running the Licence Details program from the Windows Start menu under 'All Programs | Actuarial Solutions | Actuarial Solutions' and clicking on the 'Refresh' button. Then check that Act-fx loads after you disconnect your computer from the internet. (Do not click the 'Refresh' button after you have disconnected from the internet).
- Act-fx needs to know that it is running on a computer with a valid licence. The on-line check tests the licence key against the hardware 'signature' of the computer on which it is running.
- The advantage for the user is that a licence can be moved to another computer or updated at renewal time without activation codes needing to be entered.
Will Act-fx work with all editions of Excel?
Act-fx will work with all editions of Excel from 97 on, including Excel 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013. However, Act-fx is only compatible with the 32-bit versions of Excel 2010 and 2013. Excel 2010 and 2013 are also available in 64-bit versions; Act-fx is not compatible with these 64-bit versions. If you are considering upgrading to Excel 2010 or 2013 and wish to use Act-fx, please ask your software supplier for the 32-bit version of Excel.